Welcome to my blog...

Green trees, cool water, a gentle breeze...the perfect place to sit at the feet of the Master and learn. Jesus taught so often on the shoreline, and He's still speaking today.

This is where I share the lessons He teaches me, often during the time I spend on the shores of a local lake. I don't have all the answers...and some days I don't have any. But I go here when I need to draw near to Him in a tangible way. Come with me...

Sunday, June 21, 2015

Turbulent Waters

I stood and watched the waters of the Delaware River move slowly up stream.

Then little white caps in the middle of the flow caught my eye.

Something was causing a disturbance.

There! The water nearest the shore I was standing on was moving in the opposite direction of the water by the far shore.

Surprisingly, the water was moving up stream and down stream.

At the same time!

The result was an area of turbulence.

"It's called an eddy" the property owner explained.

A river eddy is a current of water that moves contrary to the direction of the main current and can, at times, be churning and violent.

As the weekend progressed, I found myself drawn to watching the swirling waters, pondering the co-existence of opposing currents, not sure how it was possible.



A little research shed light on the mystery. Eddy's are generally caused by an obstruction under the surface such as a boulder-sized rock. It can also occur when the floor of the river bed experiences a chasm created by a steep drop.

The obstacle blocks the forward flow of the water and causes it to change its course around the area of  the object. In the same way, the drop in the river bed can cause water to swirl and change direction. The result is obvious turbulence above the surface.

When we move in the direction God's Spirit leads us, the current of our faith runs strong and sure within the banks of His love.

But sometimes, unforeseen things catch us off guard. 

A problem.

    A hardship.

        A loss.

            A life circumstance.

And suddenly we feel as though we've been knocked off our feet and sucked into deep waters.

We feel threatened by the hard, jagged, immovable circumstance just under the surface that we never saw coming.

We are tempted, like the river, to change course. To rush in the opposite direction.

But when we fight God's flow in our lives, the result is an eddy. Swirling waters ultimately going nowhere.

God's Word tells us that He never changes.

Malachi 3:6a says "I the Lord do not change."

Hebrews 13:8 states "Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever."

So we know that the banks of love remain steadfast. And we know that the guidance of His Spirit doesn't switch mid-stream.

He. does. not. change.

An eddy is created because we have chosen to go another way.

Here me correctly. Those under the surface obstacles and chasms...those trials in life...they will happen regardless. Jesus warned "In this world you will have trouble". But He also encouraged "Take heart! I have overcome the world."  However, our reaction to those potential flow-changers is totally our choice.

Are you caught in an eddy today?

There is a way out. John 15:4 says "Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit by itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in me."

Let go of the temptation to let circumstances guide where you go. Abide in His will and He will carry you over the rocks, past the chasms, all in the flow of His love.

4 comments:

  1. this is awesome!
    My favorite take aways....
    "But when we fight God's flow in our lives, the result is an eddy. Swirling waters ultimately going nowhere."

    "However, our reaction to those potential flow-changers is totally our choice."

    I have been caught up in some "eddy's" myself. Only to find myself exhausted and then realizing I need to ask for forgiveness and to allow God to have control.

    Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your kind words Renee, I'm so glad there were things that spoke to your heart. Allowing God to have control is something I have to repeatedly choose to do :) BTW - I visited your site after reading your comments and almost fell off my chair. My 'one word' this year is abundance. Last year it was trust and I saw it everywhere, almost daily. I was just praying this morning and said to God that I didn't see abundance as frequently, causing me to wonder if it was truly the word He gave me or whether it was something I just wanted for myself. You know where I'm going...as soon as I saw the name of your blog, I smiled at that "God wink" to quote a line from your last post. Thank you :)

      Delete
  2. Love this discovery and how God spoke to you so clearly through it. Yes, our beloved God is steadfast!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elise. And even as I watched the video today I realized something else. The flow up river is slow while the opposing current is rushing. Isn't that just like us and God? He's steady and often we think He's moving far too slowly, so we not only head in the opposite direction, we do so at breakneck speed...like the old adage, fools rush in where angels fear to tread :)

      Delete